hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi!
Can we all agree that root beer is a total dad drink, y’all? Jimmy’s been drinking a lot of root beer lately, which means I’ve started drinking a lot of root beer lately, and every time I take a sip, I get immediate dad flashbacks (because my dad also loves root beer, ok???). So here’s a few quicko dad stories, since I haven’t had a dad blog yet:
- He likes to tell stories, but gets easily distracted. Let’s say he’s driving you to soccer practice and he’s in the middle of a story about his Cleveland days. Don’t get offended if he drifts off and starts talking about the price of a bucket of chicken at the KFC. That’s just how his brains work!
- I took my dad on a trip to Florida for Spring Training about 7 years ago – just the two of us. We were having a big post-game seafood dinner and he had a few Harvey Wallbangers (or whatever the fuck he was drinking), got a little blotto, and basically asked me if I was a gay. I said I sure was – and he was officially the first person I came out to! Yay!
- Speaking of vacations with Dad, he sleeps in his TWs* and black socks and listens to sports radio on his walkman. Tee hee hee!
- He was married to Mama Bird for a long time, and then he wasn’t. And then he fell in love and married our step-mom Carol. She’s so nice and she, my dad, and my mom all get along super well now, which makes me real real happy. Hi Carol!
- One of my dad’s proudest moments was when he took me and Rita to a Columbus Clippers baseball game when we were kiddos. The Kroger grocery store was filming local yokels that night and they used him in a commercial saying “LET’S GO!” He then went on to be a hand model in some other ad! A HAND MODEL!!! He’s so so proud of this!
OK – scroll down for some great great great dad pics. But right here, right now is the recipe for these dang dad-inspired root beer whoopie-doos.
1 stick soft as shit butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk (or here’s a fun sub – 1/2 cup milk + a little less than 1 tbsp cream of tartar)
1/2 tsp root beer extract (you may need to order this junk online. I found mine at the weirdo spice dump at North Market)
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
Mix this shit and bloop your blobs on a sheet and bake ’em up for 12 min at 375. Yay!
Ugh – I melted about 5 tbsp of butter and mixed that with 1-1/2 cups of powdered sugar, about 3/4 of a small tub of marshmallow fluff, a blip of slat, a blop of vanilla and a bloop of milk. Adjust accordingly for the right consistency, which should be like a thickish, but not overly thick frosting-like situation.
ATTENTION! These can be made with ice cream as well – like to be root beer float sandwiches???? Yeah! Yes yes yes yes!!!!! YAAAAASSSS!
Here are those pics I promised!